The Common Sense Guide to the Common Core
Teacher-Tested Tools for Implementation
Author(s): Katherine McKnight, PhD
This guide walks teachers through 40 tools for implementing the Common Core and adapting existing curricula, from gap analysis to lesson design to assessment. Research based and tested by more than 1,000 educators, it provides a clear understanding of such questions as What constitutes student-centered learning? and How do I write great essential questions? so teachers can move forward with action plans.
Each of the 40 hands-on tools, tested by over a thousand teachers across the United States, is clearly explained and exemplified, guiding you step-by-step through every stage of implementation and addressing questions such as:
- How do the CCSS differ from my current state standards?
- What do I need to do to align my curriculum with the CCSS?
- What types of instructional strategies best compliment the standards?
- How do I ensure the required rigor and complexity for all of my students?
- What is the impact on assessment practices?
- How do we transition to the CCSS school wide?