Test of Language Development (Primary) - 4th Edition (TOLD-P:4)
Authors: Phyllis L. Newcomer / Donald D. Hammill, EdD
- Speech/Language: Expressive & Receptive
- Ages 4-0 through 8-11
- Individual Administration
- Norm Referenced
- Qualification Level B
The TOLD-P:4 assesses spoken language in young children. Professionals can use the TOLD-P:4 to (1) identify children who are significantly below their peers in oral language proficiency, (2) determine their specific strengths and weaknesses in oral language skills, (3) document their progress in remedial programs, and (4) measure oral language in research studies.
The TOLD-P:4 has nine subtests which measure various aspects of oral language are described below. The results of these subtests can be combined to form composite scores for the major dimensions of language: semantics and grammar; listening, organizing, and speaking; and overall language ability.
1. Picture Vocabulary measures a childs understanding of the meaning of spoken English words (semantics, listening)
2. Relational Vocabulary measures a childs understanding and ability to orally express the relationships between two spoken stimulus words (semantics, organizing)
3. Oral Vocabulary measures a childs ability to give oral definitions to common English words that are spoken by the examiner (semantics, speaking)
4. Syntactic Understanding measures a childs ability to comprehend the meaning of sentences (grammar, listening)
5. Sentence Imitation measures a childs ability to imitate English sentences (grammar, organizing)
6. Morphological Completion measures a childs ability to recognize, understand, and use common English morphological forms (grammar, speaking)
7. Word Discrimination measures a childs ability to recognize the differences in significant speech sounds (phonology, listening)
8. Word Analysis measures a childs ability to segment words into smaller phonemic units (phonology, organizing)
9. Word Articulation measures a childs ability to utter important English speech sounds (phonology, speaking)
Administration and Scoring
The TOLD-P:4 can be completed in 30 minutes to an hour.