Number Sense Interventions
Author(s): Nancy C. Jordan / Nancy Dyson
Help kindergartners at risk for math difficulties with these explicit, evidence-based interventions. Used on their own or as a follow-up to the Number Sense Screener (NSS), the interventions in this user-friendly guide are a fun, simple, and highly effective way to boost key math skills such as oral counting, number recognition, and numeral writing. Teachers will get 24 scripted lessons, perfect for helping small groups of struggling students in just 30 minutes each. Proven in studies to improve young children's number sense, these engaging lessons help resolve early math struggles before first grade—and start students on the path to long-term success in elementary school and beyond.
Why Use Number Sense Interventions?
- Aligned with Common Core State Standards-includes a chart of learning goals that shows exactly how the interventions align with CCSS
- Research-based and validated
- Great for Tier 2 Response to Intervention
- Carefully scripted-easy to pick up and start using right away
- Lessons build on each other, so children develop a strong foundation of critical math skills
- Uses inexpensive materials many teachers already have in the classroom
- Fun lessons encourage children's engagement and development of attention skills
- Flexible-easy to move at a slower or faster pace depending on student needs
Includes: 24 engaging lessons with explicit teacher scripts and instructions, plus photocopiable materials: 7 sets of flashcards, 12 charts that illustrate key math concepts, and a student activity sheet for each lesson.Count to 100Recognize quantitiesRecognize numeralsConnect numerals to quantities Write numeralsSolve story problemsSolve written equations Perform number operations on fingers
Help students at risk for math difficulties: