Receptive One-Word Picture Vocabulary Test-4 (ROWPVT-4)
A classic assessment of receptive vocabulary is now normed to age 80+
Author(s): Nancy A. Martin, PhD / Rick Brownell, MA
- Receptive Vocabulary
- Individual Administration
- Ages 2 through 80+
- Co-normed with the EOWPVT-4
- Qualification Level B
The Receptive One-Word Picture Vocabulary Test, 4th Edition (ROWPVT-4) now features norms through geriatric ages (80+). The ROWPVT-4 is an individually administered, norm-referenced assessment of how well persons age 2 years 0 months to over 80 years can match a word that is heard (in English) to objects, actions, or concepts presented in full-color pictures (in a multiple-choice format). The ROWPVT-4 features additional items for younger children as well as for older adults.
The test consists of 190 items presented in a developmental sequence (based on the 2010 normative sample) that reflects the concepts with which people currently have experience through home, school, or media. The expanded norms allow use of the test with adults in various diagnostic, rehabilitation, or therapeutic settings. The ROWPVT-4 has been co-normed with the EOWPVT-4 to provide a comprehensive assessment of expressive and receptive vocabulary.
What's new in this edition?
- Expanded age norms; oldest norms group (80+) includes persons up to 103 years
- New images for youngest and oldest ages
- Updated word list
- Updated developmental sequence of images
- More words added for youngest ages
- Readjusted starting points
- Ability to use test with young adults, older adults
What's still true about the test?
- Easy to use items are arranged in one continuous developmental sequence (no groupings to keep track of)
- Can be used with non-speaking (but still communicative) persons
- Co-normed with EOWPVT-4 to give complete picture of receptive naming vocabulary
- Continues to focus on confrontation naming using mainly nouns - keeps interpretation clear and direct
- Test format / administration retains the same efficient features as previous edition
- Is appropriate to use with all ethnicities (all were included in the norming sample)
- Comparisons made for special populations: AD/HD, Autistic, LD, Reading Disability
- Normative sample matches US Census demographics on region, metropolitan area, ethnicity, gender, education level
Use of the ROWPVT-4
Testing persons who have experienced:
- traumatic brain injury,
- neurodegenerative disease (Alzheimers, Parkinsons, etc.).
Administration and Scoring
The examinee indicates (by pointing or saying) the correct color picture (out of four presented) that matches the word spoken by the examiner. Age-related starting points and ceilings (reached when the examinee makes a set number of consecutive errors) ensure that only a subset of items (the critical range) is administered.
The ROWPVT-4 is untimed and can be administered in about 20 minutes. Scoring is easy and straightforward, generally taking less than 5 minutes. Raw scores are reported as standard scores, percentile ranks, and (if necessary) age equivalents.